52 Lives has almost reached the halfway point in its first year. So I wanted to share some of the amazing things we have been able to do. What began as a small idea with just a handful of supporters, has grown into a network of over a thousand people - still not a huge number in the scheme of things, but big enough to make some wonderful things happen.
52 Lives is not just about giving people tangible help, it’s about spreading kindness and changing people’s outlook on the world. And that’s exactly what we’ve done.
As individuals, we might feel we can’t make a difference, but when we come together just look at what we can do….this is what has happened during the past 6 months :
1. A little girl with a brain tumour had a night to remember with her family at the theatre wearing a gorgeous new party dress, and then had a VIP Day at SEALIFE Underwater World
2. A single mum with little money to buy Christmas presents for her three young children received gifts from strangers all over the world
3. A young mother who was cleaning the carpet with her hands now has a vacuum cleaner
4. An elderly lady who had her pension stolen received $100 in grocery vouchers in the post, and some renewed faith in humanity
5. A lady recently diagnosed with cancer was pampered for a day
6. A 15 year old girl who lost her brother to lymphoma had the honour of becoming one of the top fundraisers in the county in the World’s Greatest Shave
7. A selfless mum had a much needed night away and a clean house!
8. A 16 year old single mum was given a brand new laptop, and some priceless words of hope and wisdom, from a kind businessman
9. A mother and daughter going through a tough time were able to spend some precious quality time together
10. A young single mother’s life was made infinitely easier, thanks to the donation of a double buggy, new cocoon, travel cot and Mothercare vouchers.
11. A very ill baby girl was able to travel in safety to hospital, thanks to a £1000 taxi account.
12. An elderly lady was given the help she badly needed to pack up her home and move.
13. A struggling family received surprise parcels of brand new duvets, warm clothing and $250 in gift vouchers.
14. A little boy with a brain tumour went to Australia Zoo and had a special VIP Day with his family at SEALIFE Underwater World.
15. Two very ill boys were able to see their hero, Olly Murs, in concert. (And plans are also underway to send them on the holiday of their dreams…but more on that later.)
16. A 3 year old girl with medical and developmental problems now has access to essential speech therapy applications, thanks to the donation of a brand new iPad.
17. A toddler on the verge of losing her eyesight will soon have a beautiful custom-built sensory shed, thanks to a team of amazing volunteer tradesmen and artists.
18. A grieving mother was able to give her baby girl a funeral, free from any financial worry.
19. A young boy is about to undergo life changing heart surgery in the US
20. 300 seriously ill children will all receive a birthday present this year
21. A disabled woman is no longer sleeping on a mattress with springs poking through it. She now has a brand new mattress along with $200 in grocery vouchers to ease her financial pressure a little
Thanks to you – the 1204 individuals who have liked our page, who share our requests every week and who offer help whenever you can - the lives of all of these people have been made better, at a time when they most needed to know that somebody out there cared about them. I’m so proud to be part of it and incredibly grateful to each and every one of you for making it work.
Thank you! xxx