This week, we’d like to help Rhonda and her 9 year old daughter, who have been made homeless after severe mould and damp issues in their rental home.
Rhonda's partner passed away several years ago. She has disabilities, as well as asthma and pneumonia, and staying in the property was having a serious impact on her health. The heating also wasn’t working and it reached the point where the leaks and mould made it uninhabitable.
The council’s environmental health department issued a prohibition notice on the property, which effectively made her and her daughter homeless. They had to move into a holiday let for a short period of time (which she managed to get the landlord to pay for) and were then placed in a one bedroom bungalow by the council, where they are allowed to stay for 50 days. She can’t afford private rental anymore, and they are hoping to secure a permanent council house, but will not know until the 50 days are up.
She said: “I have no idea where we will end up. We're living in limbo. It’s all such a mess.”
Their temporary accommodation has no furniture and a lot of their old possessions have been ruined by the mould. Rhonda managed to get a bed for her daughter, an old sofa for free from Facebook, and microwave from the council. But there are so many more things they need to make it feel like a home.
We’d like to help provide some of those things. Her daughter’s birthday is coming up, and she's been really upset about not having a proper home, so we’d also like to send some gifts to try to make the day bit brighter for her .